Search This Blog

3.17.2010

Greens and Rice


I became a vegetarian at the New Year.  I try not to call it a New Year's Resolution, because those are rarely kept, and hardly maintained.  But, I try to eat better: less meat, more vegetables, I joined a CSA to get some inspiration.  I wouldn't say the CSA is cheaper, and I probably won't do it for long, but it is more adventurous, it forces me to eat more greens than ever, and it reminds me that my ancestors ate these weeds, so they must be good for me.  I get things like mustard weed, or was it mustard greens...whatever, its leafy, and it looks like it would grow in a crack of the sidewalk.  But, I also get purple carrotsdwarf blue kale, kohlrabi, avocados and citrus.  The avocados alone are almost worth the weekly fee.  So, tonight I mixed up greens and rice, short grain brown rice simmered slowly with sauteed onions, swiss chard, spinach and kale.  I threw in a couple cloves of garlic, fresh oregano, salt and pepper, and a little soy sauce.  Serve with grated parmesian.  Quick, vegetarian, hearty, and full of healthy vegetables.  Load it up with brocolli, asparagus, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, sausage and/or shrimp. Its easy to make lots and it reheats well the next night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment