Search This Blog

9.20.2009

Picnic Update

Everyone on Yelp said that Alex's Red Barn is one of the best in the valley.  Well, I think that wine is good if you like it, if not, it's not so good. 


Here is the run down of the 6 tasters for $10.  I tried Viognier, a light white varietal that I have never heard of.  It was very pallatable, but it didn't excite me.  After, came the Old-vine Sauvignon Blanc, a fuller bodied white.  It was also good.  I don't drink white wine much, so they were both fine, but nothing I would buy a whole bottle of.  Next came the Grenache.  It was very interesting.  It is a red, but a really wimpy one.  I think this was my second favorite of the day.  It is wimpy in a good way, very drinkable, summery, not sweet necessarily, but mellow.  Robust enough to go with a lighter beef preparation, maybe a beef salad.  This was followed by a Old-vine Cabernet Sauvignon which was my least favorite of the red wines.  It was very dry, but doesn't burn the mouth at all.  Next up, was their Syrah.  This is a pretty bold red, peppery, full of flavor, and delightful.  The set was finished with a Solera style Sherry, aka cream Sherry.  This tastes somewhat like cream soda mixed with Brandy.  It is mild and drinkable, but only in little sips.  It might be nice with some fancy vanilla bean ice cream, or that might be overkill.  Maybe it would be nice with orange slices, or broiled grapefruit...a play on the old Creamsicles.
After assembling the group we moved to a different winery, one that had put in a garden and picnic area that attracts customers and locals alike.  We had a southwest chicken salad with apples and corn.  A variety of tea sandwiches.  Fruit kabobs with mint.  Fresh gingersnaps with lemon sorbet.  Crudite with two dips.  Sparkling lemonade with, or without, Lemoncello.  Wine: Wilson Creek Sauvignon Blanc.

I decided to wear an ankle length skirt, a white T-shirt and bright coral colored sash instead of the oxblood tunic so that I wouldn't get too much sun.  We coastal dwellers commiserated over the hear, while the locals thought it was a lovely day.

No comments:

Post a Comment